Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Bijou Rocks Around the US!

One of the 4 packages we received last week was from Bijou. Bijou is a Toy Rat Terrier from Falls City, Nebraska. She has a younger brother named Banjo who is also a Toy Rat Terrier. Rat Terriers have longer snouts and shorter tails but other than that look alot like chihuahuas - which means, of course, they are extremely good lookin dawgs! The package from Bijou was very heavy and Ziggy was very anxious to get it opened.
Before the rocks made their 1,370 mile trek, Bijou had to first pose with them!
Then she needed to smell them to make sure they were not only interesting looking rocks but also interesting smelling rocks! Smells are so important to us dawgs you know.
After the photos session and quality control inspection, Bijou gave her stamp of approval and declared the rocks were fit to be mailed to me!
Mom opened the package and laid all the rocks out on the patio with the letter. Bijou explained that the two speckled rocks on the upper left came from the Oregon coastline. The two triangular rocks on the lower right along with the white rock on the bottom left came from Arizona. The remaining rocks all came from Bijou's home state of Nebraska. So alot of the rocks had already traveled great distances before they made their way to me in New York!Libby the camera hog insisted on a photo shoot with the letter and rocks (as usual)!No offense to all my cat friends, but sometimes cats can be such attention seekers! Libby is constantly infringing on my time with mom. She insists on sitting next to mom on the couch every night which really annoys me because I want to sit next to mom! If I'm not quick enough she'll steal my spot next to mom in bed too! The little white rock from Arizona is called a Desert Rose. Mom had to take a close-up picture of it to share with all of you because it is so interesting and beautiful. Desert Roses are actually "chalcedony" which is formed when mineral rich water flows or drips over a long period of time. You can see "growth" rings on this beautiful specimen. It is very smooth and has an almost waxy feel. It's hard for me (and my mom) to really understand the geological make-up of this rock but it is somehow related to the quartz family and is often used to make jewelry. Please forgive me if any of this information is wrong. I did research but there isn't a Desert Rose for Dummies web site out there! All I know is I like it and it's a great addition to my mom's table!I chose the place for the rocks in the table on the two corners. Several of the rocks were too big to fit under the glass but no worries - my mom has figured that all out. Rambo sent a rock that was too big and the beautiful big shell from Byron & Xinver is also too big to fit under the glass. Last weekend my mom found the PERFECT clear glass candle holder that she's filling with the plus-sized rocks and shells and she'll post about that when it gets a little more full!

24 comments:

NAK and The Residents of The Khottage Now With KhattleDog! said...

WOW!

Those were some inkhredibly pawesome rokhks!

Did woo khonsider sending them THAT KHAT in exchange?

Hugz&Khysses,
Khyra

Asta said...

The table is looking pawsome. Those wocks awe a bootiful addition..Pedro, I love the pawtwait of you showing it to us.
smoochie kisses
ASTa

Fred said...

Very cool! I can't imagine what it would be like to live with a cat either. Hmm...

Rambo said...

Cousin,
I can't see my big rocks anymore! That's okay, cause they are in good company.
Like Fred said, I can't imagine living with a Mom hogging cat either. Midget takes the place of five cats!
The table's looking kool!
love,
Rambo

Bijou said...

Hi Pedro,

I'm so glad you and your mom liked the rocks. The desert rose is my mom's favorite too.

The table is looking terrific!

Wags & wiggles,
Bijou

Checkers & Chess said...

That little Bijou and his mom really do ROCK! Those are some terrific rocks from Nebraska! The table is coming together - we are trying to get some together from Tennessee - but don't hold your breath as my mommy is not so together these days!

Gus, Louie and Callie said...

Oh what beautiful rocks. Sure glad everyone got into the photo shoot..

Big Sloppy Kisses
Gus, Louie and Callie

Kelli said...

Hi Pedro!
Those are some wonderful rocks you got from Bijou! Your table is getting very full!
:) Tibby

Lorenza said...

Hi, Pedro!
Bijou sent you very nice rocks!
The desert rose is beautiful!
Kisses and hugs
Lorenza

i said...

They are so pretty! Your table is looking good now!

Suzuki said...

Mum is posting your rocks tomorrow. She had to get a couple of 'extras' fur the package first :)
Big licks to you
Suzuki
xxx

Sarcasta-Mom said...

Wow, the table is getting so full! Can't wait to send you along our treasures.

Anonymous said...

Hi Pedro! Thanks for showing us your new rocks! They look great in the coffee table. And what a good idea to have a clear glass holder for the ones that are too big.

See ya!
Joey

Guardian Angel Ziggy said...

Hey lil bro,

I was anxious to open that package beacuse I knew there would be some beautiful rocks in there!

Xoxoxxo
Zig & Jessie

Huskee and Hershey said...

OMdoG... your collection is really getting big!!

JB's Big and Small Worlds said...

Those are great rocks and they came from all over the US too!
Your table is looking so great!
Uh, what do you mean about us cats? I think Libby is doing what exactly what she is supposed to do....she is gorgeous, and knows it, and of course the camera loves her. At my house, Chester is the one being the attention seeker, btw...he hogs everything, including my spot next to mom in bed!
--JB

Moco said...

That table is filling up fast.

♥♥ The OP Pack ♥♥ said...

OOooh, look at that desert rose rock. The table is really filling up. We must get out on a rock hunt.

Woos, the OP Pack

Guardian Angel Ziggy said...

Hey lil bro,

There are two awards for you on my blog!!

XOXOX,
Zig & Jessie

Rufus and Indie said...

Hi Pedro! I love your blog and you are a cute dog! Your rock collection is big! May I add your blog to my blogroll?
Kisses from Rufus and Indie

Baby Rocket Dog and Hootie said...

Oh Pedro! You already got an Arizona rock. Phooey. We'll get you some rocks on our way up to Idaho. We'll keep our eyes peeled!

Come on over & pick up an award at our blog. Congrats!
XO-BabyRD & Hootie

Zeus said...

I can't believe how amazing the coffee table is turning out! It really is going to be quite a treasure when you're finished collecting your rocks.

Good job, Bijou, on inspecting everything before you sent it!

Chester said...

Hey Pedro!! I'm glad to see there is still some room in your special rock table. If you check my blog you will see that I would like to add my special rock to your growing collection.

I like the picture of you and Libby. She's furry pretty but you can clearly see you are the boss-dawg!!

Woofs and bossy slobbers,
Chester

Snowball said...

Hi Pedro, I am glad that the stones and shells has reached you. I hope they are still in good condition.

Yes. They are found at the beach I always go to. It called the Changi Beach. You can use any of my beach pictures if you want.

We dun have big shells here and most of them are wither broken of have holes in them and these are the few the I can get. I hope you will like them.

Luv
Snowball

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails